By The Free Iranian Staff
The State-run Islamic Republic News Agency reported on Friday that the IRGC shot down a drone over its southern port city of Mahshahr. Without providing any further detail, the governor of Iran’s southern Khuzestan province, Gholam-Reza Shariati, said: “The downed drone definitely belonged to a foreign country. Its wreckage has been recovered and is being investigated.”
Alleged reports of a U.S. drone being shot down are incorrect. If a UAS had gone down in the CENTCOM AOR it was not a #DoD asset. All U.S. equipment has been accounted for.
— U.S. Central Command (@CENTCOM) 8. listopadu 2019
The Young Journalists Club (YJC), affiliated to Iran’s state broadcasting, also said that an Iranian official had confirmed the downing of an “an unknown flying object” by the Iranian army. According to YJC, the official said the drone belonged to a foreign country.
In June, the IRGC shot down an unmanned US surveillance drone, which they claimed was flying over southern Iran. Washington said the US drone had been shot down by the Khomeinist regime in international airspace over the Strait of Hormuz in the Persian Gulf.