Tehran has recalled its ambassador to Kenya following the Kenyan Supreme Court’s rejection of the initial judgement to release two Iranian nationals. Khomeinist authorities also lodged a formal complaint with the Kenyan ambassador in Tehran on Saturday because of the Kenyan court decision in the case of Ahmad Abolfathi and Seyed Mansour Mousavi.
The two were arrested while they were in Kenya as tourists in June 2012. They were convicted a year later of terrorism; specifically planning attacks and being in possession of 15 kilos of military-grade RDX explosives. The men are thought to have ties to the Quds Force, the special forces arm of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards.
In 2016, a Kenyan court reduced the life sentences given to the two Iranians, to 15 years. The case however, had raised concerns among Kenyan authorities, about the Khomeinist regime’s plans to strike targets in the east African republic.
Kenya’s Court of Appeals ordered the release of the two Iranians on January 26, 2018, claiming the evidence against them was circumstantial and they could not be charged with a crime. They were released after the trial; however, they were rearrested by Nairobi police and returned to jail.
Hadi Farajvand, the Islamic regime’s ambassador to Kenya has been accused of colluding with a Kenyan and a Ghanaian, who were also arrested. The three are suspected of plotting to help Mousavi and Abdolfathi, flee Kenya to escape prosecution. The Khomeinist regime’s embassy in Nairobi dismissed reports linking him to said; Kenyan authorities think otherwise. In February, Kenyan media reported that the ambassador was in fact under criminal investigation regarding the plot.
In an application filed in court in February, Kenya’s anti-terrorism police unit accused the Kenyan and Ghanaian suspects and the ambassador of being “actively involved in an elaborate planning and execution of the escape of the two Iranian nationals”.
“Information received so far shows that the three met on diverse dates with a senior diplomat at the Iranian embassy and the main discussion was how to aid the two individuals to escape,” said Duncan Ondimu, a senior state counsel.
According to media reports, Mr Farajvand was allegedly seeking to connect with high-ranking government officials to help him secure the release of Ahmad Abolfathi Mohammad and Sayed Mansour Mousavi. He reportedly booked a flight with Qatar Airways on February 10 and was supposed to accompany the pair on the journey out of the country.