Source: Washington Examiner
Exiled Crown Prince of Iran Reza Pahlavi said that the world is seeing the “beginning of the end” for the Iranian regime.
Pahlavi, 59, said Wednesday that the recent protests across the country are different than past demonstrations and show a populace that is ready to move on from Ayatollah Ali Khamenei’s grip.
“People smell the opportunity for the first time in 40 years,” Pahlavi said at the Hudson Institute. “This time is very different from 2009, even very different from 1997. The people have had it. Today’s generation of young Iranians cannot take it anymore. They want to have an opportunity for a better future. They want to be on the path of modernity and freedom.
“The only thing that stands between them and the free world is this regime,” he added.
Pahlavi is the eldest son of Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, the last shah of Iran, who was overthrown in a 1979 revolution. He said that the regime should not be negotiated with because the people of Iran want it to end altogether and warned against appeasement by the United States and other countries.
“In offering the regime negotiations without preconditions, you neglect the people’s demand for unconditional support. In fact, you betray them by accommodating their oppressors. International attention and solidarity are vital to any movement seeking to overthrow a totalitarian regime,” Pahlavi said.
Hundreds have been killed in protests that began last year and have resurged after Iran admitted to shooting down a Ukrainian airliner, killing dozens of Iranian citizens.
The shoot-down occurred after the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps fired more than a dozen ballistic missiles at bases in Iraq housing U.S. troops. The attack was in response to the drone strike that killed Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani.
Iran suffered another blow on Wednesday when a paramilitary commander and associate of Soleimani was gunned down in front of his home.